Credential Recognition

028J0280In Canada, most technicians and technologists are not regulated by provincial laws. However
I many employers require technicians and technologists to be certified or prefer to hire those who are certified.

Provincial technology associations like NBSCETT are responsible for granting the certificates based on national benchmarks of competency.  Certifications are recognized in every province and facilitate inter-provincial mobility.

Most provincial associations offer associate memberships for individuals who are not yet qualified for certification but who are in the process of becoming qualified. It can take one year or more for internationally trained technologists and technicians to obtain certification, particularly since one year of Canadian work experience is required.

Once certified, technologists and technicians can use one of the following designations: Certified Engineering Technologist (CET), Applied Science Technologist (AscT), Registered Engineering Technologist (RET), Professional Technologist (PTech), Technician (CTech) or technologue professionnel (TP).

Try a self-assessment and find out how your academic credentials and work experience will be assessed in Canada. Visit